Tuesday, May 12, 2009

Creeping Arrogance

I had an interesting experience this morning. I was give the chance to participate in a focus group about a book I really love. It was stimulating. I loved the opininions of the other women in the group, I loved the questions, and I loved sharing what I thought about the book. There were several times when I felt my opinions were very different than the others in the group and I enjoyed being vocal in that way. It was fun to be a bit contrary. I got finished with the group and felt...satisfied. I told my husband all about it and we talked books for a bit.

My opinions were very much a reflection of who I am. They were very indicative of the path Jesus has called me to walk. I was true to Jesus and true to me. And yet...I noticed this veiled ugliness appear. I was very proud of myself. I was leaning toward arrogance. All at once I realized I thought myself and my opinions better than the other ladies in the group. I thought I had it more "together." SICK. How did that creep in? I had to stop my self during the morning trip to take the kids to school and ask forgiveness. To repent of the judgement, the arrogance, and the misuse of who Jesus has made me to be. How quickly I leave the side of this amazing, mercy-filled Jesus and walk over to line up by the Pharisees.

I am really thoughtful of this today. I'm asking Jesus to show me where else this creeps in. I want to be holy because of the breath of God in my life...not self-righteous because I've twisted his gifts to suit myself.

Jesus, please expose and break down anything in me that doesn't look like you.

No comments:

Post a Comment